Bad breath, also known as halitosis, can be an embarrassing issue. Halitosis can be caused by a variety of issues, including hygiene as well as some drugs and illnesses. Bad breath treatment at Galloway Dental can help. We can help to diagnose and treat dental issues, so you can smile with confidence.
Bad Breath Treatment: Causes of Halitosis
It is estimated that one in four people suffer from bad breath regularly. Typically, the best bad breath treatment in Mesquite, TX is brushing and flossing after every meal.
Causes of halitosis include:
- Tobacco use – Cigarettes, chewing tobacco, and other tobacco products produce their own mouth odor and increase the chance of gum disease
- Food – Food, if left stuck between the teeth can cause bad breath. Some food and spices such as onion and garlic leave a distinctive odor. Furthermore, as they are broken down, their byproducts enter the lungs and affect your breath as you exhale
- Dry mouth – Saliva cleans your mouth. If you suffer from dry mouth, food and other odor-causing products are not removed, leading to halitosis
- Poor dental hygiene – This is the foremost cause of halitosis. Food left in your mouth allows plaque to build up on your teeth. Plaque causes inflammation of the gums called periodontitis, all of which leads to bad breath. Brushing after every meal and flossing one to two times per day can help to prevent plaque, periodontitis, and ultimately halitosis
Additional causes are:
- Diets – Some diets such as fasting or low carb diets cause the body to produce ketones which cause a very distinct type of fruity breath
- Drugs – Some drugs such as nitrates or even vitamins can cause bad breath. Read the label carefully
- Nose, mouth, and sinuses – Certain illnesses such as post-nasal drip from a cold or allergies can lead to bad breath
- Disease – Some cancers or diseases such as acid reflux can lead to bad breath
As you can see, bad breath can be caused by a variety of issues. At Galloway Dental, we can review all of the options, to determine the best treatment for any halitosis treatment.
The most prevalent symptom of halitosis is of course bad breath. Unfortunately, you are quite often the last person to know. To check if you have bad breath, ask a friend or relative you trust. Another option is to lick your wrist or back of your hand. Let it dry for a moment, and then sniff.
Most causes of bad breath can be treated by regularly visiting your dentist and brushing and flossing after every meal. Additional measures you can take include:
- Dental implants – If you have dentures, bridges, etc., you should clean them daily
- Brush your tongue
- Drink plenty of water
- Diet – Avoid foods that cause odors such as onions, garlic, and other spices
If you are suffering from bad breath, it is best to start with a visit to your dentist. Galloway Dental in Mesquite, TX has years of experience in bad breath treatment in Mesquite TX. Our other dental treatments include:
We can help you to maintain a healthy smile and fresh, clean breath. Call us today at 469.273.1376.