Good oral hygiene is a critical part of overall health. Dental issues can contribute to the risk of heart attack, stroke, and diabetes and can even add to the risk of preterm labor. Dental hygiene can be maintained by brushing and flossing after every meal and regular visits to the dentist. Our dental experts here at Galloway Dental in Mesquite, TX help our patients keep a healthy smile for life.
Maintaining Good Oral Hygiene
A healthy mouth is one that feels, smells and looks healthy. For example, signs of a healthy mouth include:
- Clean teeth
- Pink gums that don’t hurt or bleed
- Fresh, clean breath
Additionally, if your breath is persistently bad or your gums hurt or bleed when you brush, see your dentist. Your dentist can determine if you have plaque, periodontitis, or some other issue.
How Your Dentist Can Help You Maintain Good Dental Hygiene
In short, your trip to the dentist will begin with a thorough check-up. Here is what you can expect:
- The dental hygienist will inspect your teeth and gums
- The dental hygienist will use a scalar and mirror to remove plaque and tartar around the gum line
- Plaque is a film that builds upon the teeth in the presence of left-over food particles. Plaque contains bacteria which can lead to tooth decay and gum disease. A film of plaque can be removed by brushing and flossing.
- Tartar is a harder material that forms from plaque left on the teeth. Tartar can only be removed by a professional dental cleaning. The problem with tartar is that it provides a larger surface area and a stickier surface for bacteria to grow on and damage your teeth and gums.
- The dental hygienist will clean your teeth with a high-powered toothbrush and gritty toothpaste. Doing so provides deep cleaning to remove plaque and tartar. Don’t try this at home with baking soda or some other type of gritty material. This gritty toothpaste is safe to use twice per year. Using baking soda too often to brush your teeth can strip the enamel away
- The dental hygienist will give your teeth a thorough, professional flossing
- Next, you will rinse your teeth with water or a fluoride rinse to remove debris
- Next, the dentist will apply a fluoride treatment. The fluoride will come in a paste form in molds designed to fit over your teeth. Fluoride helps to strengthen your teeth and prevent cavities
- The dentist will come in and do a final, thorough examination of your teeth and gums. If necessary, the dentist may order X-rays to view the inside of your teeth, gums, and bones
How to Maintain Good Oral Hygiene at Home
Good oral hygiene begins at home. To care for your teeth at home, do the following:
- Brush your teeth after every meal and floss twice per day
- Avoid sugary snacks
- Drink plenty of water
- Don’t smoke or use chewing tobacco
- Drink alcohol in moderation, if at all
- Visit your dentist twice a year for cleaning and a checkup
Ready for Excellent Oral Hygiene?
In conclusion, if you are seeking a dentist in Mesquite, TX, Galloway Dental is an excellent choice. Our patients’ comfort and health are our primary concern. We have years of experience in dental hygiene. Galloway Dental offers general dentistry, pediatric dentistry, dental crowns, dental bridgework, and dental implants. We also offer oral cancer screenings. In an oral cancer screening visit, the dentist will check your mouth for cancerous or precancerous growths. If necessary, the dentist may request additional tests.